Descendants of William Smith
1. William Smith  died in 1833 in Norfolk County, Virginia.1
General Notes: Will date. Norfolk Co., VA wills. Proved 23, Oct., 1833
There is also an Audit , book 6-16, dated May 19, 1827. Audit of William Smith, administrator Charles C. Lee, appointed February, 1824. Perhaps this is father of this William Smith?
Also see Norfolk County Deeds, 63-30.
William married Adah  2 [MRIN: 100] about 1762. Another name for Adah is Could She Be Adah Robinson ?.
Marriage Notes: Son William Robinson mar 1790
General Notes: Maiden name unknown
The child from this marriage was:
+ 2 M i. William Robinson Smith  was born on 6 Mar 1763 in — and died on 19 Jan 1832 3 4 5 at age 68.
William married Martha Taylor  6 [MRIN: 3] (b. 3 Jul 1772, d. 6 Aug 1855) on 18 Mar 1790 in Norfolk County, Virginia.6 7
Second Generation (Children)
2. William Robinson Smith  (William1) was born on 6 Mar 1763 in — and died on 19 Jan 1832 3 4 5 at age 68.
General Notes: Norfolk County Wills. 28 September 1833, Wm. Smith leaves to Addah, his wife and his son, Wm. R. Smith. Proved October, 1833.
SCARBURGH WEST, b. Abt. 1690; d. NC; m. THOMAS HARDING; d. NC.
Notes for SCARBURGH WEST:
Scarburgh West, daughter of Lieut. Col. John West and Matilda Scarburgh, was born in Accomac County, Virginia, about 1690. She married Thomas Harding and they moved to North Carolina where they both died. Their children were brought back to relatives in Princess Anne County, where they made their home with William Robinson Smith. From: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/n/e/v/Candice-L-Nevaquaya/GENE7 -0002.html?Welcome=982704627
From: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/h/e/Pam--Sheltonanderson/GENE 5-0050.html?Welcome=982704760
1730. Tully (Colonel) Robinson, born 31 Aug 1658 in Deep Creek, Accomack co VA1739; died 5 Aug 1724 in Accomack, Accomack co VA1740. He was the son of 3460. William (Captain) Robinson and 3461. Elizabeth Tully. He married 1731. Sarah West.
1731. Sarah West, born c. 1669 in Accomack co VA1741; died 30 Jan 1760 in Accomack co VA1742. She was the daughter of 3462. John (Lt Col) West and 3463. Mathilda Scarborough.
Notes for Tully (Colonel) Robinson:
Tully was one of the witnesses of the will of Mary Scarborough which he signed 30 Sept 1691 (2) and also gave oath in court when her will was proved 15 Dec 1691 (2). Tully was executor of his father's will, dated in Norfolk co 16 April 1695 and also received his father's plantation, lands, livestock, saddle, pistol, books and town lot in Elizabeth River (3).
He was a magistrate (1). Tully was a colonel of the militia in Bacon's rebellion (1) (5). He was a Burgess in 1699,1702,1714, 1718, 1722, 1723 (1),(4-XVp442) (5). He was a Vestryman of St George's Church, Pungoteague(1). In 1704 he held 600 acres in Accomack co, 500 acres in Princess Anne(5), (4-XXX-285) (6) and other land in Norfolk county (5).
His tombstone at Poulsonģs Place in Onancock:
" Col Tully Robinson
late of Accomack co Va. who was born
August 31, 1658 and departed
Nov 12 1723 aged 65
years and twenty days.
A gentleman honorable, an ornament to all places. He was loyal to his prince, unshaken to his friend, and a true believer in the Church of England" (1)
He left a will 1 Nov 1723 which was probated 5 Aug 1724 (5) (4-XXIV-195).
(1). Col. John Wise of England and Virginia (1617-1695); Wise, Jennings Cropper, Virginia Historical Society (Film 0000593)
(2). Virginia Wills; GPC 1982 (975.5 P2v) p869-870
(3). Virginia Settlers and English Adventurers; Currier-Briggs, Noel, GPC 1970 p418
(4). Virginia Magazine of History and Biography
(5). Adventurers of Purse and Person: Virginia 1607-1624/5; Dorman, John (Book 975.5 H2j) pp 661-666
(6). Quit Rents of Virginia 1704; complied by Smith, Annie Laurie 1957 (Film 1035761 it 4)
More About Tully (Colonel) Robinson:
Notes for Sarah West:
Sarah was named as executrix of her husband's will, dated 21 Nov 1723 proved 8 Aug 1724 (1-XXIV-195).
(1). Virginia Magazine of History and Biography
(2). The West Family Register; Stone, Letta Brock (Film 0928222 it 1 and 2)
Children of Tully Robinson and Sarah West are:
865 i. Scarborough Robinson, born 23 Apr 1691 in Clifton, Accomack co VA; died 29 Jan 1770 in Accomack, Accomack co VA; married John Wise c. 1720 in Accomack, Accomack co VA.
ii. Anne Robinson.
iii. William Robinson.
iv. West Robinson.
v. Sarah Robinson.
vi. Susanna Robinson.
vii. Elizabeth Robinson.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Inventory & Appraisement: 1832, Norfolk Co., Virginia. 4 Inventory of estate of Wm. R. Smith. Signed by Robert Barclay, John Day & Thomas Brooks. By Martha Smith (signed using a mark), administrator. Witness: Robert Barclay
William married Martha Taylor  6 [MRIN: 3], daughter of James Taylor  and Martha , on 18 Mar 1790 in Norfolk County, Virginia.6 7 Martha was born on 3 Jul 1772 and died on 6 Aug 1855 at age 83. Another name for Martha was Betsy.
Noted events in their marriage were:
1. Marriage Bond: 17 Mar 1790, Norfolk Co., Virginia. 6 17 March 1790. Surety. Jeames Taylor. Smith is spelled two ways in document, Smith & Smyth. William signs as Wiliam R. Smyth.
Children from this marriage were:
3 M i. Thomas Smith  was born on 29 Jan 1792.
4 F ii. Barbara Smith  8 9 was born on 13 Sep 1794 in Norfolk County, Virginia 9 10 and died on 15 Mar 1867 in Portsmouth, Virginia 11 at age 72.
Death Notes: Name: Barbary Mathews
Race: white Sex: female
Date of Death: 15 March 1867
Cause of Death: Consumption Age: 68
Place of Birth: Norfolk Co.
Parents: Wm. & Martha Smith
Consort of: unknown
Informant: Thos. Scott, undertaker
Noted events in her life were:
1. She was living in 1835 in Isle Of Wight County, Virginia. 12 In that year, she transferred from Mill Swamp Baptist Church there to Court Street Baptist Church in Portsmouth.
2. She has conflicting death information of Mar 1868. 13
3. Her obituary was published in the Manning Family Bible in Mar 1868 in Portsmouth, Virginia. 13 Died March 1868 Mrs. Barbara Mathews of James W. Mathews aged seventy four years. For many years Mrs. Mathews was a worthy member of the Court St. Baptist Church Portsmouth.
Barbara married Lodowick Mathews  14 [MRIN: 1], son of James Mathews  and Unknown, on 9 Mar 1814.10 Lodowick was born circa 1790 and died between 1836 and 1838 15 about age 46.
5 M iii. Arthos Smith  was born on 15 Oct 1796.
6 M iv. John Smith  was born on 2 Nov 1798.
John married Drusilla Glass  [MRIN: 149] in Dec 1821.
7 M v. James Taylor Smith  was born on 25 Oct 1801.
James married Margaret  [MRIN: 162] on 29 May 1824.
8 F vi. Sarah Oldner Smith  was born on 15 Dec 1803.
Sarah married Ralph Coston  [MRIN: 163] on 5 May 1824.
9 F vii. Ventus Smith  was born on 9 Apr 1806.
10 F viii. Martha Smith  was born on 2 Apr 1808.
Martha married William Brittingham  [MRIN: 164] on 30 Dec 1828.
11 F ix. Betsey Smith  was born on 29 Aug 1810.
12 M x. Robinson Smith  was born on 31 Aug 1812.
1. William Smith will (1833), Will dated September 29, 1833, proved October 23, 1833. Leaves to Addah, his wife and his son Wm R. Smith.
2. Ibid. Mentions wife Adah.
3. William Robinson Smyth probate appraisement (1832), Appraisement, February 28, 1832 (date of appointment).
4. William R. Smith inventory, Norfolk County Appraisements Book 6: 43-44 (1830-1836), reel 84, Library of Virginia: Richmond.
5. Family data, Smith Family Bible. Died Jan. 19, 18??. Assumed 1832 because that is year of appraisal. Could be 1831.
6. William Robinson Smyth marriage bond.
7. Family data, Smith Family Bible. Marriage day after bond.
8. Norfolk County Deed Book 63: 30, Clerk's Office of the Circuit Court, Chesapeake, Virginia. Cites Barbara Mathews as daughter of William R. Smith.
9. 1850 U.S. census, Norfolk County, Virginia, population schedule, town of Portsmouth, page 186, dwelling 948, family 1038.
10. Family data, Smith Family Bible.
11. Barbara Smith Mathews entry, City of Portsmouth Register of Deaths 1858-1896: 1867, page 2, line 95; Clerk's Office of the Circuit Court, Portsmouth, Virginia
12. Letter from Virginia Baptist Historical Society to Lynn Hopewell; held by Lynn Hopewell (7590 Cannoneer Court, Warrenton, Va. 20186-9720).
13. Family data, Manning Family Bible (1820); orginal owned by Dr. Pat Barclay (114 Washington Street, Portsmouth, Virginia 23704).
14. Susan M. Morris entry, City of Portsmouth Register of Deaths 1858-1896: 10 November 1873, page 5, line ___.
15. Norfolk County Deed Book 63: 30, Clerk's Office of the Circuit Court, Chesapeake, Virginia. She waives rights to father's property. She is widow of Lodowick Mathews.